Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Yada Yada . . .

I just finished the last book of Neta Jackson's Yada Yada Prayer Group series, The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Decked Out. This novel ties up some loose ends in the character's lives, and includes recipes and celebration suggestions for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year celebrations.
What I've enjoyed most about this series is the way Jackson invites us into the lives of the Yada Yada “sistahs” - women who remind me of the women I know. They take faith seriously, but the situations they deal with are familiar: family problems, work situations, church challenges, difficult volunteer dilemmas. The writing is straightforward and honest. Jackson has created believable characters, living in a real time and place that I can identify with.
These seven novels are “fast reads” but each has left me wanting to do better, to be better. They provide another example of how to pray, and make me want to pray more, and more effectively. And they're fun – I care about the characters, and I want to know what else happens in their lives.

Jackson writes in an afterword that this is the last novel of this series, but that some of the characters will reappear in a new series she is working on, due for publication in spring 2009.

I'm already looking forward to it.


No comments: