Thursday, December 20, 2007

Fancy Christmas . . .

Sometimes this time of year – the Christmas season – I hear someone remark that “I don't need anything fancy.”

Somehow I'm hardly ever convinced.

I think the truth is, often we don't think we can afford something fancy, or we don't think we deserve it, or we don't want to go to the trouble of arranging it.

But the Christmas season seems made for fancy, never mind the simplicity of Jesus's actual birth. God didn't seem troubled that His son was born in a stable; I wonder sometimes how He looks at our elaborate Christmas decorations, gift-wrap, food . . .

On the other hand, maybe He is pleased that we make a fuss, that we celebrate the good news that Jesus is born among us. Maybe he feels honored when we bring our best selves to the party, when we fuss over Him.

I wonder what He sees when He looks at our hearts . . .

No comments: