Thursday, June 5, 2008

Books Make a Good Day!

This morning was catch-up at my desk, and this afternoon was shop for June celebrations – birthdays, anniversaries, Father's Day – a long time at the card shop, then shop-hopping round town, stopping at the Children's Discovery Museum (they have an awesome gift shop, filled with cool toys) then treating myself to a quick stop at Babbitt's Books, my favorite used-book store.
Rachelle Gardner blogged about bookstores recently on her blog at http://cba-ramblings.blogspot.com/. Babbitt's doesn't serve coffee, just piles and piles of books. Recently they moved to a beautiful new store, high ceilings, tall bookcases, and for a brief time all the books were on the shelves. When I went in today it looked as if the shelves had exploded; books were everywhere! It's my favorite way to see Babbitt's!
I only had a few minutes, so I went straight to the children's book section. They had A Child's Garden of Verses, illustrated by Gyo Fujikawa which I picked up, and a book outside on the half-price rack that was published by Abingdon, for kids – stories, activities, and recipes – that I also grabbed. I can't wait to look it over; it's an older book. Some might call it dated; I call it a look at the past.
A day with books is a good day!

2 comments:

megs @ whadusay said...

I think I am going to have to take a trip to Babbitt's sometime soon!

Holly said...

It will be well worth your time! Babbitt's is full of buried treasures!