Friday, July 11, 2008

And More Books . . .

We read books for a lot of different reasons – to be entertained, to be informed, to be provoked. Books can make us uncomfortable or they can comfort us, and both kinds of books are important. A good book is like a visit with a friend – it nourishes us one way or another.
My friend Bobbie is reading Jan Karon's Mitford series. She says, “I am really enjoying it. I'm on the second of six. This is about a town called Mitford and an Episcopalian minister named Father Tim., the church and twon people and their lives.”
Bobbie adds, ”These books were a gift from a friend which makes them more special to me.”
Isn't it neat when someone gives us a book they think we'll enjoy? Some of the best books I've read have been gifts, or recommendations from a friend. That's what happened with my friend Norma. She says, “For my birthday my daughter gave me five books, which I'm sure she carefully chose for me. One of the books is 'What Now?' by Ann Patchett, and she tells how we ask ourselves that question when transitioning from one stage of life to another and how we should find joy in our journey.”
Norma adds, “I thought it was interesting that as she was preparing the commencement speech for her alma mater, she consulted her college professor and wanted his opinion after all these years had passed. I enjoyed this book very much.”
Norma is also reading Marley & Me by John Grogan. She says, “Marley is a very rambunctious dog who the author and his wife acquired as newlyweds to prepare them for having children. This is a very humorous book that has you laughing out loud as he describes in great detail their dealings with Marley and the various situations they encounter. I hated to see the book come to an end.”
On her bookstack of books to be read, Norma has The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. She says, “I am anxious to get started – but it may be awhile because I am getting ready for a visit from our five grandchildren.”
Norma also makes an interesting observation. She says, “I wish I were (a more avid reader) because readers are very knowledgable and can contribute so much to conversations. I'm trying to read more, but the weeds in my garden keep calling to me.”
It's just my opinion, but I think Norma's choices reveal a fine reader!

No comments: